The CSI Value Canvas template is used to create a compelling one page business case, strategy and plan to effect successful change.
It leverages a very simple, fast and yet effective method of making
performance improvements called the CSI Domino Effect.
A domino effect or chain reaction is the cumulative
effect produced when one event sets off a chain of similar events. The process has five key components that are set up in a very
First they plan by working backwards from
right to left (outcomes to actions). Then they execute the plan by
working forwards from left to right (actions to outcomes).
It’s just like
setting up dominoes backwards from the end-goal then pushing the first one
forward to the tipping point and watching everything fall in place.
The CSI Value Canvas embraces lean thinking:
What is your strategy and value proposition?
- What controls will verify value creation, waste removal, increased yield and/or discover opportunities?
- What enabling activities, resources or things create value?
- What are challenges to eliminate waste, maximize yield and value creation?
- What improvements or innovations are required to remove waste and increase yield?
A portfolio name, purpose and timeframe are captured and used to associate the canvas to a customer, segment, market, organization structure and/or strategy roadmap.
List details about customer value including the desired outcomes and benefits that are important.
Determine and create controls, measures, artifacts and/or evidence that are critical to quality and to ensure your success.
Create the list of managed elements (things) that directly create value and enable the outcomes and benefits.
Assess the enablers to determine and log the challenges (problems) preventing or hindering them from achieving the strategy.
Register, assign, track, monitor and complete initiatives that directly address the challenges.
Simple to understand
Easy to use
Saves time communicating
The CSI Value Canvas gives you the following advantages.
- Improved Planning Technique - focus your effort on what's important
- Creates Stronger Value Propositions - helps gain approval and buy-in for others
- Better Communication Tactics - breaks down resistance to change through awareness and contribution
- Increases Organizational Alignment – work together with common goal to produce maximum results
- Creates a Compelling Business Case (ROI) – get investment funding/budget approvals faster
- Eliminates Waste – find and remove things that don't' create value
- Reduces Risk – take control of outcomes to guarantee success.
How it Works:
Use the single page Canvas planning tool to capture short/concise post-it-note level details and refine your improvement value proposition. For example:
- Capture your great idea by defining the purpose, timeframe, outcomes and benefits that are important, this helps ensures you get buy-in, support and cooperation in obtaining your wildly important goals.
- List some controls that will guarantee your success by tracking your progress using metrics, artifacts and/or evidence.
- Determine what directly enables the outcomes and benefits, these managed elements are typically categorized as people, process, technology and/or information needed to realize your strategy.
- Assess the enablers to determine what the challenges are going to be, these could be in the form of issues, gaps, risks and/or road blocks that must be overcome.
- Formulate initiatives that directly address the challenges identified in the previous step, solutions should be fit for the original purpose.